Children & Families
Therese understands how trying it can be for the parents and siblings of children with high-functioning autism. You may come to treatment because you want your child to have more satisfying social interactions. It may be that you just want to have a happier home life. Whatever your reason for seeking treatment, after an initial consultation, Therese will work with you to devise a plan that is suitable for your family’s needs.
Work is completed in individual sessions and/or small group sessions to achieve the following social outcomes:
- Increased willingness to compromise
- More friends, longer lasting friendships
- Included in more social activities
- More relaxed and confident
- Able to understand the other person’s point of view
- Less frustrated because they feel heard
- Increased social confidence
- Better at playing games – better winner & loser
- An evaluation session for your child
- A group session for your child (must include at least one evaluation session first)
- An individual session for your child (post evaluation)
Teaching social/emotional skills
What people most remember about a social exchange is ‘how you made them feel’. Therese helps children understand:
Emotions & body feelings
- Grouping emotions into four zones (red, blue, green, yellow) with corresponding feelings
- Understanding the impact of emotions on social outcomes
- Understanding that all emotions are OK: it’s what we do with them that matters
- Looking at the behaviours triggered by emotions
- Sensory awareness
- Problem solving
- Emotional awareness and behavioural triggers
- Yoga with breath awareness
- Awareness of the impact of your emotion on others
- How to get the outcome you want
Social Skills Training:
Using the Social Thinking framework, Therese will help you and your family understand how social skills work and how to navigate better social outcomes. Therese will then help your child integrate these new pathways of thinking with a set of ‘social problem solving skills’ so they can operate effectively in the social world.
Emotional Awareness is included as part of social skills training after children have been learning the social thinking foundations.
Therese integrates her experience in yoga and meditation, plus the Social Thinking and Zones of Regulation frameworks to deepen clients’ knowledge of how emotions work in their own body. Once your child is able to connect with the emotions in their body and understand the impact on others, you can develop strategies to help them manage their emotions and make choices with a better understanding of the social outcome.
Workshops for parents
During these workshops Therese guides parents and caregivers in understanding the social thinking process and gives practical examples of how to apply it. You will come away with a deeper understanding of how social thinking skills can be used to coach your child in day to day life. These are small group settings of 8 participants only.
These workshops help you to:
- Understand the impact of social difficulties on language
- Work through the key tool of a behaviour map (social consequences)
- Understand thought and the impact on social outcome
- Coaching thinking and social skills
Next topic : Working with Social Thinking: an overview (90 minute talk, NO children pleas
We will be going through the framework of the therapy model to give you a focused overview discussing the tools we use and how to apply them.
Date: none arranged at present
2 Series Workshop (attendance at both is required)
Once you have the overview we work together to deepen you understanding of how to use the social thinking framework as social teaching tools.
Topics include: Using a social behaviour map. Using the 5 point Scale.
Asking thinking questions. Supporting conversation development